One of the many concerns that we have about using inflatable mattresses is the comfort it offers compared to traditional beds. Is it practical to get one?
We usually purchase an airbed for a reason. In most cases, we want to get an airbed to accommodate guests, especially if we don’t have an extra bed. As the host, when a family member or friend visits us we want everything to be smooth and comfortable for them. In some instances, we want to own an airbed for our outdoor activities because it is very convenient to transport and easy to operate.
However, our concern remains. Are inflatable mattresses comfortable?
Yes, airbeds can be comfortable!
I can say that inflatable mattresses can be comfortable too. There are tons of inflatable mattresses in the market now but despite the comfort it promises, only a few deliver.
Inflatable air mattresses come in different sizes, built and structure. There are cheap and expensive ones and there are uncomfortable and comfortable ones. The various designs and comfort it offers only shows that this type of bed can also offer the relaxation and pleasure that we usually enjoy in traditional beds.
However, the search for the most comfortable airbed could be challenging. Also, this factor varies from individual to individual. One might prefer a hard bed, another a soft mattress. The great thing about airbeds is that you can adjust its firmness to suit your preference.
For example, Wenzel Insta-Bed is one of the most inconvenient airbeds I tried but it is also one of the cheapest. It has no built-in pump, so I have to use my blow dryer to inflate it. The mattress is very uninviting, though, that I felt restless when I woke up the following morning.
I give this extra points for being lightweight and easy to fold. Unfortunately, it is not equipped with a carry bag to make it more convenient for storage and transport.
On the other hand, another bed from the same company, Insta-Bed Raised Air Mattress with Never Flat Pump is one of the best I tried. Its high-raised design and flocked top are very comfortable. It offers a bed-like experience, which makes me love it more.
See, the same company manufactures beds with different quality. The more comfortable bed is more expensive but your sleeping experience is so much better. This is why finding the most comfortable inflatable mattress can be thought-provoking. However, if you just do your search well, it is not impossible.
Meanwhile, though there are inflatable mattresses that are very comfortable to use, it cannot be denied that most aren’t that pleasant to sleep on. So it is understandable if you want to improve your airbed experience.
In the next section, I will share with you some tips to make your inflatable mattress more comfortable and enjoyable. This will be very helpful to give yourself or your guest a good night rest while sleeping on your inflatable air bed.
Tips To Make Your Airbed More Comfortable
- Get a bigger size – If you will get a twin size, two guests might struggle to keep themselves comfortably in it. The bigger the size, the better. This will also ensure that a bigger guest will fit adequately in it. So, if your place can hold a plus size, go for it.
- Make sure it allows you to adjust the air pressure – One of the highlights of airbeds is its ability to enable you to adjust its air pressure according to your preference. For instance, some already offer customized setting that includes plush, medium or firm. So, make sure that this feature is present when you purchase your inflatable mattress.
- Look for a durable one – Do not expect airbeds to last a lifetime. However, do not get a poor quality air mattress either. Make sure that it is at least 20 gauge vinyl or higher to prevent tiny holes from developing in the material. If this happens it will affect your sleeping quality as it will not be able to hold the air for long and you might find yourself in a flat bed in the morning.
- Place your inflatable mattress on a soft surface – Most airbeds are equipped with vinyl or plastic underneath it to make it stay in place. Without this, the bed might move every time you turn. That’s why you should place this on a carpet because if you place it on a hardwood floor it might squeak all night and you won’t love the noise. If you don’t have a carpet at home, just place a blanket at underneath it.
- Convert it to a traditional bed- By this, I mean to recreate the look and feel of a traditional bed. For example, add a headboard. Also, you may add a pillow top, sheets, blanket, and a comforter.
- Headboard – You can do this by placing the bed in front of a wall. This will keep the pillows from falling off the bed.
- Pillow top – This will be very helpful in giving you the warmth of a regular bed. The air inside the inflatable mattress will likely become colder overnight, so an extra layer of padding on top of the mattress will keep the temperature balmy as you sleep. If you have sleeping bags, you can also use it. Just keep it open and place it on top of the inflated mattress.
- Pillow – A good pillow adds comfort during your sleep as it can reduce the risk of neck and back pains. Intex recognizes this so they built Intex Pillow Rest Raised Airbed with Built-in Pillow and Electric Pump. However, some love to sleep with pillows on their knees or between the legs for a more convenient sleep and built-in pillows are not movable so always add pillows on your airbed.
Converting an inflatable mattress to a regular bed will give you a better rest because of the comfort and warmth it offers which is similar to what traditional beds deliver. Isn’t this what you wish to accomplish in your airbed?
If you are asking yourself, “Is inflatable mattress good?” This article should answer it. Airbeds are comfortable to use and they are even effective in alleviating neck and back pain.
Do you also consider an inflatable mattress for your guests? Have you purchased one already? How was it? Did you exert extra effort to convert it to a traditional bed for a more restful sleep? How did your guest feel about your airbed? Do you have additional tips to make an airbed more comfortable? Share your tips and airbed experience with us, and help other readers decide if inflatable mattresses are worth it.
You can also check out this article: Managing Inflatable Mattresses: How To Repair, Patch, Fold, Inflate, Deflate And Clean Your Airbeds